Saturday, January 15, 2011

New Year, New Me!

OK, so it's been a few months since I have put anything down, BUT not as long as it usually is, lol. Let me start out by saying that a whole lot of nothing has changed within my family, but I have had a major change. I am now a DERBY GIRL! I skate my butt off three times a week and have fun doing it! My sister has been trying to get me into derby for years. I kept laughing it off and not really paying any mind to what she looked at as a benefit to joining such a team. I thought you had to be fearless and reckless and just out of your mind to want to be involved in such a sport. I was SO wrong!
Derby is fun, hard work, team based AND it's for women! I mean, we have some guys in our league, but they are reffing and/or coaching. They are not out there skating with us. The women I am skating with are funny, sweet, endearing and have hearts so big that you feel like your in a great big hug while you are skating with them. I know it sounds ridiculous, considering that we basically knock each other around while skating, but it is all true. The encouragement and comaraderie that I have felt since I started skating with these women is unlike anything I have felt before.
Many people in my life view me as an outgoing person. I think this is residual from when I used to be a cheerleader. However, those who really know me, they know that I am truly akward around people I do not know and it is very difficult for me to small talk with a stranger. When I started skating with some of these girls, I thought for sure it would be business as usual and I would be the uncomfortable stilted new person. SO WRONG! These girls just get to you and they do it in a way that makes you feel valuable and interesting. They want to know you and they want to encourage you.
Now that I have been skating with these girls for a few months, I find myself doing the same with the newer girls coming in. I am able to walk up to a new face and jump into a real conversation. I talk with them, help them and form a bond with them. I have never been a part of something like this before.
I am so thankful to my sister for bringing derby into my life. Granted, I pooh, poohed her endlessly, but if it wasn't for her, I never would have thought I could join such a fantastic sport. I will forever be grateful to the 60+ women that show up to practice and become my favorite people for the 2-3 hours we are together. I feel like they filled an empty part of me.
I love my family, they truly are the reason I get up everyday. I have just added a few dozen more women to that family...

3 comments:

Meagan Berry said...

Yay, didder! I am so proud of you! You've been so much happier lately and every time I talk to you, you're smiling! I love it. I love you.

Feliz Family Postings said...

I am so happy that you have found your nich, you are having fun, you are Elizabeth again, a loving, caring and beautiful person who is a great Mom, wife, daughter. You are so happy and it shows in your face and the smiles, laughter, and your bounce in your step. Girlfriends are necessary in ones life as is family. They are just the extended family. Love and hugs. Good to see you on blogger. Keep it up.

Deborah said...

That is so cool! The only "derby" I've ever watched is on "Whip It." :D It's kind of interesting to picture you out there skating around and beating people up. Maybe you should post some pictures.